Just bought a used 2003 Buick century that only had 1 key. Tried to have 2 keys made. 1 works fine. The 2 nd works on 1 side.. Turn it over it turns the ignition like it going to start but it doesn't. Then when I put in my other keys they turn but won"t start. After about 5 minutes I can turn on th lights and try again and my original keys work. The bad key acts the same every time I try it and I can it the car started by waiting as I mentioned. Thought it might just be a bad key. So I tried another source and that key did the same thing. Can"t find anyone that is familiar with the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Asked by Aug 23, 2012 at 08:40 PM about the 2003 Buick Century

217,135

Where did you get the key made? If you just had a regular key cut, yes you will be able to open doors and put it into the ignition, but not start it. You need a key that has a transponder in it, aka a chip that the vehicle senses before you start the car for security reasons. Your owners manual will document this, but it sounds like your going to have to make a trip to the dealer to get the correct key and have it programmed to your ignition.

Both keys were the right blank. I got the first 2 at the dealer and the 3rd at a locksmith.

31,855

Its a Buick not a Mercedes inside the ignition there is a special spot for the passlockII security system contact and on the key is a spot to force the pass lock to make contact. It may be the correct blank but when its turned upside down there is too much play for it to make contact with the pass lock. The reason it takes time to start after is because the car thinks someone tried to steal it just like the timer on a cell phone lock screen. Long story short its most likely a bad blank.

31,855

The spot is up by the hand end of the key