Feedback on the FJ Cruiser?

Asked by Dec 24, 2006 at 09:56 AM about the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

I have a request and a question about the Toyota FJ Cruiser:
* Can FJ Cruiser owners please share their opinion of the vehicle, including its dependability, how it "rides", and mileage.
* Does anyone know if Toyota plans on getting rid of the annoying white roofs on these vehicles? Once Toyota makes the FJ Cruiser monochromic, I'll seriously consider buying.

23,390

A nicely-sized sample of 298 User Reviews on the FJ on autos.yahoo.com, rating it on a 1-5 scale overall, reached a middle-of-the-road consensus and a 2.5 star rating. Mileage and ride opinions were mixed. Most complaints centered around some blind spots in the drivers field of vision. Many felt the FJ was more of a "mall cruiser" than true off road vehicle but there were many among the group that felt strongly about it's off road capabilities. Those moving from a Hummer to the FJ were generally pleased, but several users felt they would have been better served with a Jeep product. No word about future plans for the white roof but here's a link to the complete set of user reviews. http://autos.yahoo.com/toyota_fj_cruiser-reviews_user/;_ylt=AoxlZhcbm1OX_it8IyOxOpftZs4F?sort=mr&modelid=4781&start=1&show=atl By the way, Edmunds seemed to like the FJ's off road capability quite a bit and found it to be a well-balanced and well-behaved SUV. Here's their review: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=108557

75

i love min. baught it new has 55k on it now all with out any probs and i beat mine up to say the truth when it was stock it got great mpg 23ish now get 19 with 4inch 33inch tires and alot of extra weight . over all i find it amazeing i feel really safe no matter what the weather is like it just feels solid on the road i would get the automatic i have the 6 speed and its great but it is full time 4 wheel drive

20

OWSOOM...RIDES BETTER THEN MY CADDY DEPNDING ON HOW MUCH AIR IS IN THE TIRES.. I GET 440 KM PER TANK.....70 L THE WHITE ROOF STAYS,,IT'S FROM IT'S HISTORY.....YOU CAN PAINT IT

105

I've owned seven 4x4 SUV's and the FJ is Hands Down the best of them, especially if you're looking for a rugged off road machine!

35

Yep great off road car!! it uses a lot of gas, but w/ good driving it can get 20 mi/gal on highway. VERY RELIABLE well built!

35

FYI: white roof: i have seen several with ONE COLOR (custom?)

4,925

The 2014 FJ WILL BE THE LAST year THEY ARE Manufactured for the USA. Best FJ to buy 2009 -2010 why ? 2007-8 had issues with front fender panels cracking and rear end (differential or axle) had internal problems on some with the ring/ pinion ( see FJ FORUMS) also I like where they positioned the oil filter on top of the engine which was changed to underneath and from a spin on to an internal cartridge ! Us DIY GUYS who change our own oil like this feature! The only mono PAINT FJ s are the Trail Editions otherwise guys and gals are using Plasti-Dip to paint the top! It peels off if you change your mind ! NOTE white was used for its ability to reflect the sun, less heat in the cab, and less prone to peeling ! Handling far superior to Jeep Wrangler ! I own a 2000 TJ as I write this and a 2008FJ! I checked for the issues! IFS =independent front suspension is its one weakness CV JOINTS AND TIE ROD ENDS PRONE TO FAILURE! It is called articulation where the wheel stays on the ground on uneven surfaces! Jeep uses sway bar disconnects to go offroad! And it allows the axle to tilt while the cab stays relatively level and more importantly the tire stays in contact with the ground which equates to traction! Go to youtube search for FJ off road you will see many videos that show one of the tires in the air, the way it is compensated for is by using a locking differential in the rear axle and ATrac or active traction on the front system to provide traction to the wheels that are not gripping! The rear electronic locker is a must have option in an FJ and ATrac for the front! I just bought this FJ so I am ready to see how it performs! My first 4Wd was a Willys 1957 FC150 also owned a 1973 Jeep Commando 1975 Power wagon! Im looking forward to fulfilling my Bucket List and get out one last time in my FJ! Stay tuned!

Oh my, the white roof is essential! Look at the original FJ's, take that away and you ruin it; like if you were to put 13" wheels and a 4 cylinder engine in a Camaro! I LOVE my FJ Cruiser and will keep it forever!!!