My rav 4 keeps shutting off midway driving. It just looses power and goes dead. There are times when it restarts right away but on other occasions the lights comes off the dash board, and they flicker

30

Asked by Mar 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM about the 2006 Toyota RAV4

It will come back on after flickering. It usually
makes a chipping sound before it goes out. Ive
been taking it various places and no one can
pinpoint or solve the mystery. What is really wrong
with my vehicle? Thank you

20,615

how's the voltage? sounds like a charging or slipping belt lowering the battery voltage ,these cars need a full 12 volts to function. otherwise have a good Toyota tech check the TSB,S and the pcm.

40

Ya I would check your batter terminals and make sure they are clean first..

30

Thank you for your response. The battery is less than 6 mths and I did a full servicing last week where the battery was serviced. I should have mentioned that the ABS light stays on 95% of the time. Also over the years i've had problems with the headlights. They just goes out but normally comes back on once I turn off and on again. This was checked several times but as they always stays on when checked the problem remains unresolved. The light in the sun screen was also out for over nine mths and just recently, it is back on. I'm thinking maybe its a sensor gone bad but I am absolutely blank when it comes to cars but will research what those acronym means and indeed take it to a good technician.

180

My 2007 Rav4 is doing the same thing. The dashboard lights usually flicker off first as a warning before the entire car shuts completely down, usually while driving. Nothing but your brakes work as you coast obrake to a stop as safely as possible. When it restarts, all is sometimes normal with the check engine, VBS & 4WD light on solidly. We replaced a sensor before this issue, then a new throttle and computer. None of these repairs have fixed the problem. Any ideas?

30

Casine , thanks flor Your posting. I'm having the same issue and no one can identify the problem . I have replaced the battery , also replace a sensor from the transmission. Could you share what was the problem in your car? Thanks a lot

180

Turned out to be a missing screw that keeps two contacts together causing it to lose power (12V) when they move. It took two shops months and two unrelated major "repairs" to figure this out. Craziest issue I've every had with a car during my 30+ years of car ownership. I hope this helps.

30

Thank you!!!! I hope that's the case with my car . I'm already down $1200 for unrelated major repairs. Thanks again.

50

Hi, I have the same problem. Where was the missing screw located? Thanks!

30

Hey man , this is your lucky day!! After spending over $2k and almost replacing the computer ......we finally found a defect with the battery ground cable ....make sure you check that cable , that might be the whole problem. Let me know and good luck !!

This has happened with my 2007 Rav 4 twice this month, most recently leaving us more or less stranded except we were on vacation anyway.. Can anyone confirm if the battery cable/loose screws actually fixed the problem, please? Otherwise I'm thinking it's time to go car shoppping.

It was a loose screw in my case (2007 Rav4).

I don't have an answer but I have the same problem, My SUV is not even a year old, with 900 miles, and today was the fifth time mine has cut off while driving. I took it back to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. I called my insurance agent and he told me to take it back and make them give me a new one.