Alternator not charging battery

710

Asked by Mar 01, 2016 at 06:13 PM about the 1995 Ford F-150

Alternator is good and the battery is good but
there's something not letting it charge I've had both
check and check them myself check all the fuses
no wires but yet it will shut off about a mile down
the road

145,525

The car is shutting off because it had ben running off the battery until there is not enough juice left in the battery. So ya, gonna have to check the wire that runs to the battery from the alternator & the small wire that plugs into the alternator. Lot of times that plugin will go bad.

Best Answer Mark helpful
710

Are you talking about the little brown wire

145,525

That plugs into the alternator. That plugin can go bad, they make a replacement.

710

Alright just making it clear, thanks!

710

What is that wire for?

145,525

It runs power to the voltage regulator. Turns on the alternator so to speak.

710

I changed that wire and all the other wires and plugs to the alternator but its still draining the battery can't other ideas

145,525

Is the alternator working, or is something draining the battery with the key off? You changed you terminology.

710

No battery stays changed with key off but its drains like crazy then stays at 10.91

145,525

Ok thats because the alternator is still not charging and the car is just running off of the battery juice. So, you know the alternator works. It has to be in the wiring some where. I know on my vehicle there is a fuse for the air bag, and for the gauges. If one of these are not in place, my vehicle will not charge. Otherwise without being there to see, I don't know. But I will be thinking of anything all day for you.

710

Well I dontbknow if this will help but the battery light by the gauges is on and the check engine light will come on and off. But thanks for helping me

90

Did you ever figure this out cause I'm have same problem

50

Me too I am stumped

50

same here

160

I had the same problem after 3 alternators,testing every wire even the fuse. When I replaced the 20 amp fuse I found that it wasn'tmaking a connection,so I bent the tabs closer and my charging system started working.

12,530

What 20 amp fuse? What is it called in the fuse box?

30

Starter is grouding out if you got batt and alter checked take get it checked

30

Check the voltage regulator

90

my battery is not charging like it should. it just died on me coming home had to be jumped and then all my gauges started going haywire, however i have battery charger on it now it is way low

90

can anyone tell me whats the problem here i have a 1996 f150 truck

710

My problem was the cylinder was not hooked up right

220

I have a 97 F150. Replaced the alternater and battery was not getting charged. Looked all over motor, starter wires, under the dash. Found the big black battery terminal fuse box on passenger side of engine compartment. Inside the cover were two large fuses and under those was a smaller fuse inside a clip cover. The smaller fuse is a standard 10 amp auto fuse. It was blown by the alternater. Replaced the fuse and the problem was solved.

150

There is 2 50 amp fuse under the black caps buy the starter soilanold on fire wall passenger side it will be the bottom one that is bad I have fix many of them

150

fixed it thanks alot

50

Starter solinoid and half of ignition system is brand new. Alt is good and bat is brand new. Black 20 amp is clicking when turning ignition. Could this have anything to do with issue?

60

Any update? 2003 F150 New Battery, Alternator good.. NO battery light on dash. Truck will run fine until battery drains.... multiple shops including Ford Dealer. Ford Dealer gave up after 3 weeks... had to pay $200 for them to find nothing...and had me take truck back.;

12,530

Check voltage drop on red cable from battery to alternator and also do an alternator ripple test. Could be a bad diode in your alternator allowing voltage to go in the direction of the alternator instead of towards battery. My guess it is one of these 2 possibilities

140

97 ford f150 new alternator battery n starter something is draining battery alternator isn't charging checked fuses under hood they are all good just stumped on what it could be any suggestions.......

20

92 ford f250 custom 351w new alt new battery new terminals truck runs but dies when the battery dies. Any ideas?

100

I just got done working on a 99 F150 same issue replaced Alt. and battery, no charge. Found fuse number 11 (alternator field) was blown. Replaced fuse all is well.

100

Same thing with my 96 4.9 4x4 f150 I'm goin nuts man... Did u get it figured out?

100

Were you talking about the solenoid ? the like black thing on the passenger side of the engine compartment right? cause I'm goin through hell if you could take a pic of yours n how u got it hooked n to 352 451 3931 my name is Justin thnx man

70

I just did the same in a 99 f150 turned out to just be the #11 fuse in fuse box under the hood think its a yellow one

20

Same problem here, number 11 fuse ended up the problem

40

when y'all say #11 fuse, which one are you referring to

10

where can I get a replacement connector for the wire on the alternator

10

I got a 99 F150 4.6 I had the alternator and battery check I can put jumper cables on it will crank run good but when I take the jump cables off the truck dies would you please show me where the charging relay is

Did you find the problem?

yea 1998 e150 same thing number 11 is good no idea prob get junk yard alternator tommorow i would think battery voltage would drop below 12.2 if alt was bad stays running like that diode ? voltage reggulater? alternator seems to be throwing juice when un hooked from car?

Put a new alternator put a new battery change the terminal poses looked at all the fuses but One found a fuse on the passenger sideOn the inside of this box

10

New alternator new battery new pig tail, checked and repaired other connections. I checked every fuse. My 150 runs till battery dead. I have a bad blower motor relay. Could this be a possibility? Going nuts trying to fix this thing