Do you need to replace water pump at same time you change timing chain tensioner in 2007 toyota camry

Asked by May 21, 2015 at 05:11 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry

I had problems with oil consumption and failed consumption test.  Prior to dealer doing test that stated I needed to change timing chain tensioner.  3 weeks later the water pump has a leak and the radiator.  I never had any problems with the radiator.  I read that you should change timing chain and water pump at the same time.  Is that true

14 Answers All the way to 120,000/12 years and no mention of timing chain or tensioner

I'm wondering why the dealer wanted to change the chain tensioner in the first place. Unless they went under timing cover for some other reason and found it bad.....maybe looking for reason for oil consumption. Nothing in the scheduled maintenance for that. But once you're in there, yes, doing water pump adds little cost

They stated it was leaking and needed to be changed before they could perform oil consumption test. you mean failed compression test?

When the dealer performed the oil consumption test they wouldn't state how much oil I lost Prior to oil consumption test I had to add oil every 500 miles. I was advised I could not add oil or bring vehicle back for 1100 miles. I fear I didn't have any oil in my vehicle. Now they stating I need water pump and radiator. I wasn't experiencing any problems until after oil consumption test.

Ok, we were typing at the same time. But a compression test will be part of diagnosing excessive oil loss. Ring(s)?

Whoa....that doesn't sound right. Not you, don't get me wrong. But telling you to drive 1100 miles but NOT add oil?!? When you are in an excessive consumption problem? That my friend is the best way there is ruin your engine

That threw me, and I forgot about your radiator leak. I don't see how your radiator and water pump would go bad just like that. Coincidence? maybe....but I seriously doubt it. Maybe I see..their version of a oil consumption test is not diagnosing it, just 'testing' the amount of loss

yes, it was just testing the oil usage. I spoke with them today and stated it was a coincidence. I highly doubt it. They said they are not related and the car not having enough oil wouldn't cause those problems. Currently, Toyota has a warranty enhancement for the oil consumption problem. The are working to correct and call stating I need water pump and radiator. I asked why they didn't notice 3 weeks ago when the changed the timing chain tensioner. Very considered

Did you get an answer? About why 3 weeks ago....?

They stated it was required to perform oil consumption because they saw a crack

Oil Consumption ......Timing Chain and tensioner are separate problems. The question is....did or do you really have these bad parts. I always ask for the old parts so I and others can examine them. Did you see the engine leaking coolant or overheating? A timing chain or belt replacement should include replacing the water pump because the pump is right there and easy to replace. Replacing the pump later requires taking everything apart again. Was the pump really leaking? When they fix the oil consumption problem.....they are going to have to remove the engine from the vehicle.......remove the cylinder head and oil pan. Guess what....the radiator will have to be removed....and the timing belt removed. seems to me....they got you for a labor operation that would have to be done for your original concern...e.g ...excessive oil consumption. Sorry...but if you had no concerns about overheating and or loss of coolant why did they diagnose these parts to be bad.? I'm having a problem with this entire narrative.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Wow, I really appreciate your answer. I will be contacting the dealership and requesting to speak with someone higher up. They are robbing me without a gun. I argued with them because it simply didn't make since. I called today to get clarification and they stated I need serpentine belt and tune-up as well. I truly believe the Toyota warranty enhancement isn't free of charge they are under handedly charging me. Thanks

Sounds like a plan. My opinion is, see if the Oil Consumption Repair will fix the oil burning problem first...before you spend more money on other "needed" repairs. Good Luck.