How much money and time would it take to repair/do up a mustang '65 coupe?

15

Asked by Jan 24, 2012 at 03:27 AM about the 1965 Ford Mustang

I have a '65 mustang coupe in pretty bad condition. and was wondering how much it would take to get to reasonable driving
condition.

465

however much time and money u want to spend pretty much...to just get it running it probly wont take too much if u spend time/money right but to make a nice car u could nvr stop spending money lol..

1,135

This depends on how much work you want done and what the condition of the car is in. If your looking to do a full restoration of a decent condition car your looking at a minimum of 100 hours which could translate into around 10,000$

215

When we restored my '65 it wasnt in BAD condition (paint, little body work, and the interior)but it cost us probably close to 3000 or 4000 to restore it to original... We got real lucky and found a guy who would do the paint and body work for cheap but it took him almost 2 years because he was doing it in his spare time. I think we got lucky on a few other things because my dad was able to get some deals on the parts we needed so IDK how accurate mine is for most people.

3,045

hard to tell, but you can spend yons of money on metal work , paint, and nos parts

435

I restomoded my 77 Tbird and it was almost $20,000 and it still needs interior done. Check out the specs in my garage. It's in storage for now as I was having electrical problems and havent got the time or cash now to keep playing with it.

95

I agree with what everyone else has already said. It's not just the restoration, though. You also have to think about maintenance and reliability. If you're doing a resto-mod with modern mechanicals and electronics, this won't be as much of an issue. My '67 is mainly period correct, except for the Pertronixs Igniter II electronic ignition I added a few years ago. Something is always breaking on that car. Now it's down with a bad ignition switch. Good luck. Can't wait to see pictures.

435

I miss running my Thunderbird but It's just way too expensive to keep running with the way gas prices are nowadays and having to keep putting in 94 Octane to run a Hypo motor in it. it will start to knock with 91 Octane. But it was so worth it at the time I did the restomod 11 years ago. If you are going to do up a classic, Do it right the first time and take your time doing it. Make it worth it.

25

i own a 65 and drove it everyday to school in high school. in about 2 years of driving it everyday we replaced about 4 radiators, 3 or 4 flexplates, and a few other things also after a while some how a piston got chipped. probably spent around 1000 just in the two years to keep it running. my advice fix it and drive it on the weekends only.

435

It's a never ending project/ Hobby. And agreed, drive it only on weekends to car shows. Not a daily driver.