1965 mustang water pump rotation clockwise / anticlockwise

Asked by Jul 23, 2011 at 07:47 PM about the 1965 Ford Mustang

I have a 65 mustang (engine is a 289 CI) that blew its water pump.... when I wanted to replace it, I had choice between clockwise and anticlock wise rotation, then there is inlet on passenger's or driver's side, how can I determine wich is suitable

365

They all turn the same way on a 289 so how might you reverse one? As long as the belt runs over the top of the pump/fan pulley it’s turning in the right direction. If I'm standing in front of the car looking at the engine it rotates clockwise, unless my fan, water pump and alternator have been spinning the wrong way for 40 years. Was the guy at the parts store asking you these questions??? Sounds like He was making a “FUNNY”. I work at a Ford Dealership and never caught this question. I’d be interested in finding a engine code that ran in a different direction or a factory option that dictated a different pump. And as a wise old man told me when I was just an apprentice 30+ years back, LOOK at the radiator FAN BLADES to find an answer to this... SAME-SAME…They both spin the same way>>> The only real problem is with some replacement water pumps do not come with the steel water pump backing plate that in place between the pump & block. This plate is often damaged when the water pump fails. Minor scaring from the impeller blades is OK, however if it is bent or the impeller has worn holes through the plate, IT MUST BE RELACED, with the pump for proper volume of coolant flow. I have seen the plate so completely worn through mechanics thought it came from the factory that way. Best of luck with your repair.

3,335

It's clockwise from the front .. PBN