25 year old car...buying it from to older sisters who bought it new..Has 97,000 kilo's on it..What should be replaced either then new tires for safety cert...Thinking tranny fluid and brake lines..any

Asked by Feb 08, 2014 at 09:19 AM about the 1989 Honda Accord

105,915

I just completed a 23 year old car and working on a 29 year old one now. If vehicle will crank and drive I always start with the brakes(pads, shoes, rubber lines to calipers). While doing them I inspect, grease and/or replace as needed tires, steering components, cv axles, u-joints, shocks/struts, ball joints, tie rod ends and wheel bearings. After all this and I feel safe in it time for serious road test. Listen for bumping sounds. This is for worn bushing and motor/trans mounts that might have looked good but will only show up bad while driving. I know this sounds like a lot but most of it you will only be inspecting and will find nothing wrong with them.

20,965

you sound like you know what you're doing- change fluids, check wearable parts (tires, hoses, belts, etc.)- then drive- that is low, low miles for a car that old- and they made 'em solid back then- so you should be good for the next 30 years

4,225

i agree with all the above answers. i would ask if they have any maintenance records. has the car been sitting or is it driven daily? when was the last tune up done etc.

Thanx guys,,,Update...new tires.,starter (last one was stolen.).new.carb..complete muffler and pipes..battery...brakes..all belts..ball joints rods and other stuff..seems these old ladies really looked after their car...mileage is only 84,000 k....and interior looks brand new..picking it up next week-end ..done deal..photos to follow