I just bought a 89 honda accord. When I brake the front driver's side shakes violently and also begins to lightly shake at about 45 and by 50-ish, is shaking well enough to fel it in the steering wheel. Thought it might be a tie rod end so replaced that with no change. It also creaks all the time. Any ideas what I need to do to fix this?

Mieke Townsend
0

Asked by Mar 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM about the 1989 Honda Accord

84,605

The shake while braking is warped rotors. Have them turned down or replaced to eliminate the shake. --- The shaking while driving is harder to nail down. It's a combination of loose parts and unbalanced wheels.

Mieke Townsend
0

She drives straight as an arrow otherwise so I'm doubting unbalanced tires and it is just the one side. Was planning on either replacing the rotor on that side or seeing if it can be machined since it actually looks pretty good. What are your thoughtsabout the creaks? Is that the loose parts your talking about? Where would you start that search process. If it were you? Thanks for the reply.

3,705

what tenspeed was referring to was the weights on the tires. it does not affect whether the car drives straight or not, that's more an alignment issue. mismatched tires could possibly affect if it drives straight or not.

Mieke Townsend
0

hmmm... i see what youre saying. ill have it checked. hadnt thought of it that way. guess i had tunnel vision going on there for a minute... :)

3,705

if the shop can't balance the weight on the tire it could be a damaged rim. so my advice would be to take the affected tire off the car and inspect the tire and rim for any damage or abnormalities. while the tire is off look at the brakes, and the surrounding components, bushings, caliper, rotor etc also looking for abnormalities