repainting tips/suggestions if available

85

Asked by Apr 23, 2009 at 12:48 AM about the 1989 Honda Accord

should I try and use same factory paint if avaiable from Honda or would I be better off using some other brand? What brand or type of paint would be best? I no nothing about automotive paints. I am just beginning to research for any suggestions, tips or ideas to help me get started.

8,445

only suggestion i would make it using the same paint. this will save you the time of repainting under the hood and all the door jams. time and moeny saver because paint is expensive.

45

depends on what you are planning to do , full respray or touching in ? problem with paint is that even honda's own factory paint will not match 100% . the best type of paint to use is waterbase base coat with a 2k lacquer, water base is not the easiest to spray but will give the best finish

415

I used to own an '89 Accord EX-i (Canada) and just so happened to have mine repainted when I purchased it. I strongly recomend that you use Honda's colour code (found under the hood near the rad and in the driver's side door jam. Also, have any rust (no matter how minor) repaired befroe they prime to paint. When mine was done, it was done by any old body shop and though the finish looked great, within 6 months I could see paint blisters appearing from unprotected rust repairs that the shop did. Just do your research. Great car too!

85

thanks for the great tips. I really appeciate you comments. I would plan on respray of entire car rather than just hood/roof/trunk. when you mention waterbase base coat are you talking about primer? I had heard lacquer was easier to spray than enamel and gives a good hi-gloss finish (with multiple coats) I hope to learn how to do the pre-paint prep work myself to save money. ( I've got more time than money and I don't mind masking, priming and sanding.

45

a waterbase base coat is the paint that gives you the colour , best primer to use is a 2k primer which is paint and hardner normally with a mixing ratio of 3 parts paint to 1 part hardner , this type of primer is thicker and easier to spray . advantages of using thicker primer is it will cover fine scratches made when sanding bodyfiller and paint . lacquer will give a high gloss finish but to many layers will make it crack , 3 coats of lacquer is normally recommended . waterbase paint is the same but will not crack with multiple layers, but the colour will change the more paint you put on . i would only recommend water base paint if the colour you are using is either a metallic or pearlesent.