I have to keep my shift button depressed at all times or my car wont shift into park, how do I fix this?

45

Asked by Mar 29, 2011 at 04:53 PM about the 1989 Ford Thunderbird

Just bought my 89 tbird, and the shift button has to be depressed or i cant get my car into park, Is this something easy to fix, a known fault? what is the easiest way to fix it? any advice?

you have to press the button to go to and out of park.nothing is wrong.

45

I guess I didnt explain my problem correctly... I have to rubberband the shift button to get it to go into or stay in gear. The button is near impossible to push in, and when the button is not rubberbanded, it wont go into park, or other gears. So again, at all times I have been having to keep it rubberbanded "in". If its not, It will shift, but not get into gear sometimes, I have to reshift. Park is impossible if I release the rubberbands. When I bought it, the original owner had it rubberbanded into place. I undid it, thinking because she was an 89 year old lady that she couldnt push the button easily. Well, when I drove off, it was hard to get it into gear, and absolutely could not get it into park. I had to have 2 people help me get it into park. Its only got 68850 miles on it, its in need of a tune up, Id like to get the gear shift issue resolved as well. So right now its working and driveable, but the button is rubberbanded into the "in" position. Would like to fix that, hope that makes more sense.

I got 3 T-Bird super coupe,s,2-89,s 1-90.I would say that you need to change the shifter itself,what probly has happened is the preivous owner parked on a hill not setting the e-brake and forced it into gear breaking the clip on the shift knob.being if it is a SC or LX is the same shifter.

45

Ok, thanks . Ill check that, my shift knob actually pulled off completly last night, so im hoping that will work! Thanks for the advics, appreciate it. Ill let you know how it goes..

no problem.