weird modifcation

Asked by Apr 20, 2015 at 09:42 AM about the 1988 Ford Thunderbird

The person who had the car before me tried to bypass im not sure exactly what thats why
im here, their is a toggle switch running from the hot of the battery to the coil... the car will
not start without it on but once the car is on you can turn it off and drive it just fine. My
question is what are they bypassing with that toggle switch?

they are bypassing the ignition switch and fuse panel .

22,685

It matters not, just take that crap off and put it back the way it was-

96,625

Bruce is right, there is most likely an ignition switch problem and instead of replacing the switch they just jumped in a hot wire for the coil power while in the crank position.

i thought it was also the ignition switch but i changed the ignition switch yet it still wont turn over, i changed the coil. Im out of ideas

96,625

Get a test light and put it in the positive side of the coil, then turn on the ignition, do not crank, if there is a light then that's good, if not trace down the coil power circuit. Next crank the engine, is there still a light,, if there is then the power side is good and you have a problem with the coil trigger signal, if no light while cranking, the ignition switch is either bad or out of adjustment. Also check the main bulkhead connector, I have seen a few of these burn out the contacts from the firewall connector to engine compartment.