why does breaks on a ford thunderbird engage while in motion

90

Asked by Feb 25, 2013 at 09:00 PM about the 1986 Ford Thunderbird

the breaks seem to automatically engage bye themselve u tap the paddle and they release

they shouldn't. perhaps your brake booster is out of adjustment. perhaps the handbrake is dragging....but appy brakes on acceleration can only mean defecive/out of adjustment brake booster.

90

ty so much

you are quite wecome, and these posts seem to be eternal, so could report back to us to see if you could simply turn a bolt to adjust or if an horrible expense is going to occur. could be a real fix.

real easy fix. wish I could help in person, sounds like a fun hopefully won't have to krink your neck to get all up in there-

90

lol ty my brother is mechanic but let me say this it does not do it all the time it may do it maybe 2 times and not happen again for a few days up to a weak

does it whistle?...indicating a leaker?

90

nope break pads seem a little hard to mash

19,755

as bob said adjustment ,the plunger rod from brake lever is a little longer than should be[adjustable] or return spring is not pulling back enough ,spray wd or lube under dash a piviot points, cut rubber stopper return bumper down 1/8 inch thats about all you need, [im assuming if you just pulled the pedel back it would release as well as bumping it in]

90

ill have my brother do that thank you

3,105

the brake pedal rod could be too long , did you or somebody else replace the master cylinder without reajusting the threaded end of the rod for correct free travel ? you might have a sticky caliper too if it pulls right or left when it drags that would be that

90

the previous owner might have but we haven't replaced anything and thier is no dragging or pulling all breaks are working fine accept they engage when they want to thats all that happens

you ever use your parking brake?....ever?...(I'm just askin')

90

nope never have, haven't had it very long

90

and i want to thank everyone for their responses that has been quick and as soon i get my brother to check on this i will let yall know if it works and again ty so much

amazes me the number of people who insist on torturing their parking pawl, and tranny mounts as they allow the P (park) to do all of the supporting of the weight of the vehicle. I've seen it on a Taurus, in fact they are famous for their troublesome trannies~

90

lol i hear ya

you could dish out with the ten points each for reward, like feeding fish to a bunch of dolphins....let me introduce you to mark, you may have heard of him? (mark helpful?)

90

oh ok can or do u minde if i find out if ur solution fix's my problem first

you know this is the only reward our guru bretheren care to enjoy. the reputation points, which I'd gladly give them all away in exchange for a little scratch...basically there's nothing in it for us except your good will. appreciate the kudos, to one and all!

shazzaaa, just like that you have eighty reputation points. thank you very much...for my next trick....

90

well ok i was going to mark all good answers but ur to impatient so ill just give mark

90

and dolphins only get treats when they do a good job

...so glad to have cast a little postive energy your way...every day is a good day to smile.

you know we aren't going anywhere, get with your associate to look at the brake rooster, to see if he's still squackin, and get back with us. OK?

90

u want me to wake my brother at 1 am in the morning good idea

you silly, bears need hibernation too-

it's only 10:12 in Clearlake, CA in PST speak~

3,105

OH yea mark it WRONG ..... not helpfull we love ya !@!!

buddy, do you think I go thru life deceiving people? saying rooster instead of booster puts a smile there for those who take it all so seriously...slow down jack, you've got it all wrong- I got my ASS kicked for three years, that's how I'm able to joke about my experiences that now have proven WRONG in today's world...but I digresse...at mechanical drafting school they'd call me jokingly "jack sprat aristocrat"...set me apart, graduated top o' the class...don't need reputation points...you can have them all!

3,105

no bigie just checkin

gave you ten 'cause you seem like a right guy!