Throttle sencor

Asked by Sep 11, 2012 at 06:08 PM about the 1986 Ford Thunderbird

My car seems like it's surging, low speed is worse , runs great while picking up speed, once at a set speed, it serge's, dies once I put it in gear and dies at a stop and is hard to start .Changed the filter, made no difference.
Son put it on a scope with no results, engine light is not on. thinking it could be the throttle censor , sending unit ,
fuel injectors or a short. Any suggestions would help a great deal, my mechanic friends are lost as well....Thank
you....Smile

1,325

First think I would check or switch out is the TPS, throttle posiiton sensor...

Yeah I kinda think so too, when I turn the car off, the throttle pedal moves a bit, that was the 1st thing after I noticed it move that came to mind. The car did sit for 6 yrs ,my bro started it up without emptying the tank , I have drove it now for about 5-6 yrs so that kinda made me think it may be the sending unit sooo, car's gonna nickle n dime me to death.LOL Thank you for ur advice....And do have a pleasant night....Smile

145

Check the IAC (idle air control) valve. it looks like a cylinder on the side of the throttle body.

Cool thank u, never thought about that, could be a vacum problem too, have had to change the ignition plug 2 x's already as well

365

Also check your TFI (Thick Film Ignition) this will also make your car shut off.

If it was an ignition or censor problem, wouldn't the engine light come on ?

Oh and can you explain how to check these things? Been a long time since I did any mechanics and my son ( Dam good mechanic) is out of state....Can't afford to take it to a shop. Thank you all and have a nice day

365

If its a sensor then yes your check engine light will come on like for an O2 sensor. But if it's a Igniton problem then it will not.

365

What size engine is it?

3.8 I believe, 6 cyl. know nothing about throttle body's, give me a real engine like a 350 n I can tear it down and make it run better but not anything with fuel injectors...LOL Sounds like u may be knowledgeable about my car, if so I can give you my messenger n we cah talk more about it, I need some help on this bad. My son is out of state and he also has no idea. Let me know ok...yahooooy clumsy_woman give a holler if you don't mind hun..Be nice to talk to someone about it, 1/2 tempted to blow the dang thing up....lol

365

Yea my first car was a 93 TBird with a 5.0L and I still have it lol. And mine gave me so many problems that I could sleep until I fixed it lol. But I think the reason it shuts off could be that TFI. Mine also shut off when it would get hot at times.

well, we have replaced the ignition switch plug n switch 2 xs, pulled my radio out to try n find the speaker wires to hook up additional speakers. I had to leave 2 bolts/screws loose before the radio would stay on. Now I have to pull the parking lever at times in order for it to start, never had to before. Just a bunch of crap that one day I may put a dam rag in the tank n light it n BBQ marshmallows...LOL would sell it but would never get enough to buy another head ace as social security don't pay me enough dangit....Thanks so much for your help and I'll try n get these things checked out. Have a very nice evening/night my friend