Car won't start not getting gas

Asked by Jul 01, 2014 at 08:53 PM about the 1985 Ford Thunderbird

I have 85 thunderbird that set for years.  Someone tried to start it when gas tank was
empty.  Put new gas in tank and it won't start.  No gas to carb, but after I pushed the
trunk reset button I heard a click. So it appears I have elect there.  Can't hear fuel pump.  
Anyone have ideas. it is V6,

When a car sets for years, all kinds of things go wrong. You probably need a new fuel pump, maybe a Carb overhaul and only a crystal ball will tell you what else. REPLACE all fluids... brake, trans, engine, Diff, etc. Check brake flex cables for rot. This car is 30 years old so be careful

Best Answer

Thank you oldtimer37, The car has only 110,000 mile and we now have to decide to replace fuel pump to see if that is the only thing or to not get started and just sell to salvage yard.

Don't give up too soon. 85's aren't worth a lot but they do have some value. I don't know what shape it is in or where you are located, but if it is in any decent form of condition and not needing major paint or upholstery, it should be worth fixing.