I have a 1985 Thunderbird, i Use to be able to fill it up ever week and a half. But after it sat for a couple of months I now have to fill up every three days. I am lost, I gave it a basic tune up.

Scotty Wheeler

Asked by Apr 14, 2014 at 07:00 PM about the 1985 Ford Thunderbird

I replaced the muffler and spark plugs and
air filter. But no change! Can someone help
me out. Daze and confused

Sounds like you may have a sensor out of specs, have you ran a code check on it? Ford OBD 1 not everyone can check these old systems, call around see if someone can do a code check. Or go online and search: ford OBD 1 code retrieval. It can be a little intimidating at first, but once you CRT the pluses right then you can do them yourself with jumper wires and a test light.

Best Answer
Scotty Wheeler

Also every time I step on the breaks my oil light comes on, do you think it could be tied to that?

Doubt it. If the oil hasn't been changed after sitting then change it to see if that helps, if it doesn't then you will have to put in a manual oil pressure gauge to see actual oil pressure, it could just be the sender.

First off, attempting to measure fuel consumption by how often you fill up isn't a form of measurement. Get the actual MPG. In some states, there is a difference between "winter" and "summer" fuels. Don't let it warm up - start it and drive it immediately - it will warm up faster and won't waste fuel just sitting there. Most of the DIY manuals will show you how to retrieve your trouble code(s). But really, you can't measure performance or fuel consumption based on time - it's miles divided by gallons.

The oil light is probably just a bad sending unit. Ford Oil Pressure Senders are notorious for low reading, leaking and failure. If you're running the correct viscosity and grade of motor oil, change the sender and be done with it.

Scotty Wheeler

I drive it a lot less than I used to. I used todrive 80 miles a day now not even half that and still fill up more!

Until you do an actual MPG check - you'll never know if there's a problem or not.