My 1978 ford thunderbird will not turn on cause it doesn't pass gas from the tank to the carbiator. My fuel pump is new. What can it be?

Asked by May 29, 2015 at 04:01 PM about the 1978 Ford Thunderbird

Check the fuel pump relay,

Tap on the carb with the handle of a screwdriver. Not a hammer. The float could be stuck.

Had this happen to my 1977 Thunderbird back in the day. The lobe that pushes the mechanical arm down on the pump was worn. Ended up putting a block plate the fuel pump opening and installed and electric fuel pump. That is the cheapest way to go but if your fuel pump is pumping check for cracks in the rubber fuel lines. If there is a crack in one of the lines it will just suck in air and not deliver fuel to the carb.

is the fuel line plugged any where when you turn it over do you get any gas to the carb is there a filter on the carb that is plugged

It is possible the fuel filter is completely clogged. It's been awhile since I had that vehicle but I think the fuel filter is under the hood on the side wheel well or fire wall. There may be a in line filter that goes into the carb. To check for fuel unhook line going to carb and have someone turn vehicle over and see if any gas comes out. Put a clear bottle or jar over open end of line to catch the gas and it will also allow you to see gas flow. It should be a nice strong flow.

And also like I said in first answer check all rubber fuel lines coming from tank and going to carb making sure they are not cracking or cracked.