1977 Thunderbird Carb and Headers

Asked by Oct 20, 2008 at 09:27 PM about the 1977 Ford Thunderbird

I have a '77 T-bird with a 400 and dual exhaust.  What would be a good choice for a carburator and/or headers?  And how much would headers increase power if I just added headers but kept the original 2-barrel?

if you can do both, the two a sa package will be an awesome runnign system, if you only can afford one or the other, i would do the carb, i added a 650 cfm 4 barrel to my 350 chevy instead of the 2 barrel and it woke up my motor so much, and if i just cruise it i actually get better gas milage than i did with the 2, so if you can only do one, i would suggest the carb

whatsup skyler, all right first of all the 400m is a totally different family from the 460,back to your question,the 400m came stock withcrappy heads and cam so if your looking for an affordable mild intake go with the elderbrock performer(not the performer rpm)and a 650 elderbrock carb would work good on your 400m. Honestly headers arent going to make much of a difference.swapping to a mild street cam would definately help also.but before you get to much wrapped up into a 400m. look for a 351 windsor or mabey even a big block (429 or 460) just as cheap to build and you will be much happier with the end result.Hope I answered your questions Qualifications:Ford senior master Tech. Ase master Tech. Fox bodies forever Dave

Alright thanks guys, I forgot to mention that my exhaust is only 2 1/4 inches wide, if that makes any difference. I was planning on getting both but I decided to get some Torq Thrust wheels instead. Right now I can only afford one or the other, and it sounds to me that you guys think that a carb would do more good than a set of headers. I've been told that Holleys are uncomparable to other brands in power but I personaly don't know much about carbs. I know a few guys with Demons and they talk good about them, so you may be right. I can get anywhere from 18-20 MPG on the highway now but around town you can just about watch the gas gage sink. Would a 4-Barrel help that? I kind of want to stick with the original motor because the 400 has good reputation reliability wise and also it would be better for resale value. I do believe that it is a 400m; isn't that the only 400 that was installed in T-Birds stock?

And Rey that's an mean lookin' ride, mine's Lipstick red with white interior. S.S.S.

Thanks Rey, but the rims and tires are long bought and payed for. Eventually, I'd like to do all that you say once I have the money but for now I just need to find a good carb. I try and look around for a spread bore Holley if that's what you think would work well. ttyl S.S.S.

Well I had to get the tires immediately after I bought the car about a year ago, so 235s were about as wide as I could get on the stock rims. So I kind of had to stay with narrower rims but I think there thick enough, since I'm not going to be dragging it any time soon. lol Even though I have virtually brand-new shocks I think I need to install some air shocks in the back to raise it up a couple of inches because the back of the car seems lower than the front. Did you have to do the same? S.S.S.

I see, I was thinkin' maybe 2-3 inches in the rear would look good. How expensive are you talking about? S.S.S.

Yeah thats the kind of shocks I was thinking of. I've heard of people having them but I've never seen them, so I wasn't for sure. I'll look around. TTYL S.S.S.

Alright I will. It actually rides really nice right now, but it could probably be better. S.S.S.