How much is my 1973 Ford Thunderbird worth

Asked by Apr 30, 2014 at 05:38 AM about the 1973 Ford Thunderbird

I have a 1973 Ford Thunderbird that
I'm trying to sell. It ran great until
when I replaced the battery two days
ago I was told by a mechanic that all
it needed was a new starter and it
would be good to go. The vinyl top is
also gone till it needs to be replaced.
The car has no rust and only 42,000
original miles that are actual miles.
Car was parked for 25 years before I
got it. Interior is almost perfect has
one small tear on the driver side seat
either than that it's perfect backstay
looks like it's never been sad and all
the controls our original and work.
Has your original engine and all them
original mechanics. Please help

242,445

I'd say around $5K. Look at some online auctions for prices, ask for more and see what you can get.

22,455

It is not worth much if it's not running- these early '70s Thunderbirds have a limited market because they are not really "classics" and they are severe gas guzzlers, and people know it- not running 5 to $800- if you get it running, it will never see $2000- sitting for 25 years means that there are many mechanical problems just waiting for the next person who wants to drive it- think how much it costs just to put a vinyl top on that old boat-

5,195

I don't want to bust your bubble but unless you find someone who has no idea what one is worth, I would say you are going to be lucky to get $2500. First, 73 is not a real collector car. Then when you look at what it needs, new vinyl top, motor does not run, sat 25 year! That is a lot. The worst part is the sitting. ALL fluids must be replaced. Rubber brake lines are probably swollen closed and how is paint? I bought a 65 that was stored 25-28 years in a Utah warehouse and I spent over $5500 getting it in very good shape, not showroom condition and it only had 26k miles. I wish you good luck... hope you don't have much in it.

It's only worth what someone will pay. In this case, I doubt it's going to be much.$1000 range probably. I've found that offloading older cars of low value is usually better done my bartering for items of greater value (other cars, motorcycles, guns, jewelry, etc.) or something else you'd rather have. This allows for a more open market for cash as there are a lot more people willing to drop $1000 on a nice rifle than a beat up car.