I have a 1970 429 thunderjet won't start gets fuel up to fuel line in carb car used to run , I pour fuel into carb it tries to start could me timing be off of what

Asked by Dec 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM about the 1970 Ford Thunderbird

101,655

How long has it been since you have had it running?

take the timing cover off and look at the timing marks....note the looseness of the chain and the hydraulic/wear shoe to keep the chain taught....is it out of pushin' room? this one needs to be replaced...along with your new timing chain~

could just be a cracked distributor cap too~

the accelerator pump should squirt a few CC's of gas when you pump it...perhaps the accelerator pump has lost it's leather seal~

101,655

Bad fuel, gummed up carb, old spark plugs-wires, ect.

mechanical fuel pump should be puttin out at least 9-15 PSI...you might check looksee if the diaphragm is torn~

carb bowl full of gas...needle and seat workin' proper like?

pouring gas to start a vehicle is NEVER advisable...because whatever microscopic film to protect the steel becomes awash with gasoline and abrasion will wear out the motor in a big hurry...if you cannot depend on the accelerator pump to squirt a few drips of gas...starting spray is a baddie too, but gets the motor kicked into movement~ ...so, air, fuel, spark and timing....we've got to the second qualifier...fuel...let's keep up the battle...we can get through this~

https://www.google.com/#q=1970+429+fuel+pump

170

The Judge is correct. I've got a 70 390 myself. You just have to go through the basics. Fuel, air, spark and timing. Do one at a time until the problem solves itself. Probably not that big of deal but you must cover the bases.

take a full weekend to rebuild the carburetor on the kitchen table...identifying and bagging all the components in sandwich bags as they correspond to the exploded view drawing in front of you...it's worth it so that you KNOW what this thing is and how it makes the fuel flow at a very metered condition~ carb rebuild kits are not that much money....better than workin' crosswords or puzzles~

you may find a Float that's dunkin'....a needle that is sticking a link that is broken...don't trust HOLLOW floats...they always seem to swim for it~ accelerator pump seals are STILL made from soft leather~

also a filter screen at the inlet----as I recall~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161071988031?lpid=82