I can't get headlights to come on. How do I remove headlight switch on my 1969 Thunderbird?

Asked by Jul 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM about the 1969 Ford Thunderbird

I am restoring a 1969 thunderbird. once things were back together i can't get any head
lights or tail lights except brake lights. I want to remove headlight switch but can't figure
out how.

As you didn't state if it had vacuum headlight doors I am going to just generalize it. Look at the headlight switch knob and see if there is a small slot or even a set screw that holds the knob on the shaft, the slot type will use a small straight blade screw driver that you will slide along the switch shaft and release a little spring clip as you pull on the knob, if it has a screw just unscrew it and the knob will unscrew. If you don't have the slot or the screw then you have to reach up under the dash and find a little push button on the switch itself, hold it in as you pull out the shaft, that will give you access to the 4 prong nut holding the switch in place. Sounds more complex than it really is. Hope this helps.

I pressed button the bottom on the bottom and pulled the knob out then i unscrewed the outer knob on front but switch will not budge. ( it does have headlight doors which are in open position. i haven't gotten vacuums hooked up yet then appear to be operational.)

As it has vacuum doors, there will be some bracket screws for the vacuum control that attaches the switch to the vacuum control head, if I remember correctly they are located on the lower lip of the dash panel, the entire assembly will come out so make sure you note where the lines go during dis- assembly.

Thank you for your help. The switch was just stuck because water had gotten into the vehicle and rusted the parts together. All it was was that the 2 front knobs plus one other threaded part on front had to be removed. Fortunately after i screwed the outer knob back on and then tried to remove it again that the other piece came off with it.

Hope you didn't buy a hurricane flood car. If it was underwater, be sure to check all the steel brake lines, brake system, all metal lines under car. If this did go underwater, it should have been reported when you bought it. Good luck.