Where can I found the parking release break on 1968 Thunderbird?

10

Asked by Sep 23, 2012 at 09:38 PM about the 1968 Ford Thunderbird

I do not see a lever any where to release! Please help!

Hi: it is a vacuum release so once car is started and placed in to gear it should release. In case it fails because of a vacuum problem, there is a short manual release tucked up under dash below your headlight switch. good luck !.

10

Thank you for replying and can you tell me how to get inside lights off? i Just don't know how and its running my battery down.

sure thing, go to where your dash panel id in front of your steering wheel. You should see 2 buttons. One operates your antenna and I believe the other is an off on switch for interior lights. If that isn't correct , I apologize because car is not handy and I have to go on memory lol. Todays cars usually have the on/off switch on the headlight switch, however with the 68 TBirds, that is what adjusts the dash lights. You can reach me at my busbus@eastlink.ca , it may be quicker for future inquiries ,Steve......ps: were you able to find that brake lever?

pss: those 2 buttons I told you about are below the lip of the dash but above the instrument cluster :)

6,455

It was automatic that year. After checking my Ford parts book, I found out that It's vacuum operated. Check the hose going to the brake mechanism on the kick panel. You might need a new vacuum release control motor but I doubt it. it's not serviced by itself, only with the whole brake control assembly. You probably have a vacuum leak somewhere or a loose vacuum line connection. Try starting the car to build up vacuum. If it still doesn't release, spray the mechanism down with PB Blaster or WD-40 and all of the cable under the car. It might just be stuck as it's over 40 years old. If still not working then . you'll need to follow that vacuum line up under the hood to it's vacuum source and either replace the hose or find the leak and splice in a piece of the same size hose. I've enclosed a photo from page 15 of the original Ford parts book for reference. Good Luck, MrBlueOval.

6,455

Oh, One more thing. The vacuum release control motor will release the parking brakes automatically ONLY when the transmission selector is moved into drive position with the engine running, not neutral or park and ONLY with the engine running. The lever is on the pedal mount in front of and just below the vacuum control motor MrBlueOval

1,565

The parking brake releases automatically - which is not helpful because these cars are susceptible to moving out of gear all by themselves when parked; Turn your headlight switch to the right to turn off the interior courtesy lights; left to turn them on.