can anyone tell me how to get the exterior trim off a 68 thunderbird

njolly
0

Asked by Aug 12, 2012 at 09:03 PM about the 1968 Ford Thunderbird

need trim off to get vinyl top off

MrBlueOval
5,775

Hi, All the T-birds thru 1979 were beautiful cars. I had a big 69 and 74, Also had the smaller 78 and 79 Birds. .If you are removing the whole vinyl top, you are gonna have to remove both of the interior sail panels behing those moldings on the inside of the car. To do this you will have to remove the interior moldings first that surround those sail panels, they are attached with phillips head screws. Once the interior moldings are off then you can safely pull off the sail panels.I can't remember if the interior lights are there but just unplug them, they should come off with the sail panels.. There will be a piece of foam padding behind the panels which may or may not be glued to the sheet metal, just gently pull that off away from the metal. Once that is off and out of the way you should see the studs and nuts that attach the outer surround moldings and the Landau bars or emblems to the car. Unscrew the nuts that hold them on ( they should be 3/8" or probably 9/32" if my memory serves me right) and then just push the studs of the moldings out thru the holes, popping off the outer moldings. Have someone on the outside so they don't fall on the floor and break off a stud, you don't want that to happen. The lower molding around the bottom edge of the vinyl top is held on the same way but you should be able to reach and access the nuts for that molding from up inside the trunk.( I hope you're a small person to fit in the trunk upside down) You can leave the drip molding on as the vinyl top is just glued to the roof at that point. The polished stainless steel windshield and backlite (rear window) moldings are held on with clips and you will need a special windshield reveal molding removal tool which is available from any reputable auto parts store like NAPA or Car Quest for right around $5.99 Just slide it up along the inside of the molding between the molding and the glass until you feel a clip then twist the tool slightly and pull towards the inner part of the windshield to pop up the molding away from the clip and then you can slide off most of the rest of the molding, Start at the bottom where they join together as one overlaps the other. Here's a video on a 66 Mustang but it should be the same as the 67 T-bird to show you how to remove the windshield molding. . http://www.youtube.com/watchv=bRJf5Ow4YbU They can be sticky so be extremely careful not to bend those moldings as they are very thin and delicate and can get damaged easily by pushing or pulling on them. It might be safer to let an automotive glass shop remove the glass moldings as they should have an older employee who has the correct tool and past knowledge to remove them quickly and safely as Ford hasn't made those type moldings since 1991. Replacements are next to impossible to find unless you have a 1967,68 or 69 T-Bird partscar available.. There should be one clip every 4-6 inches or so on the sides and one every 8-10 inches or so along the top and bottom all the way around the glass. Be careful not to bend the molding or crack the windshield when removing them. If you have some mechanical knowledge and mechanic's tools, just take your time and you should be able to remove all or most of the moldings needed to replace that vinyl top by yourself Good luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval