Window Tracks issues

Asked by May 15, 2011 at 03:03 PM about the 1968 Ford Thunderbird

So I have some issues with the window track on the driver side (havent' removed the door on the passenger side but expect the same issue).

The front track is fine but the rear track keeps slipping off and hanging down. I found that the window itself is supposed to go into the track but I'm not sure how that is supposed to happen. The track wont line up correctly with the window itself. The angle is off so I can't line up the track to slide the window into it.

This is not a new track but the original. It looks to be in good shape. Am I doing something wrong with it? Should the window be all the way up or down when trying to slide it into the track? Any suggestions?

you may have to do a little hand bending to get the track back inline,yes the window sits in a track that is groved for bottom of glass,it will have to be glued in or it will keep comeing out of track.super glue works great.

Bending the track not the glass right? Sounds like a dumb question but not sure how much bend is in the glass. Should I lay the glue in it before sliding the glass in or glue around the edges once it is in? Thanks for the help so far, it is keeping the car in the garage on questionable weather days.

NO not the bend of the glass,the tracks may be bent a little out of shape,put glue in first then glass,rool up let set about a houre.

Alright, cool. Thanks for the help, I can't work on it until later this week but I'll update the thread and let you know how it went.

will be waiteing to here from you.

The rubber is too warped for me to get the window in the tracks so I've been looking around for new tracks. However, I'm not sure if that is what it's official name is or what but I can't find any site online to purchase new ones.

Google-SCCoA.com,is a T Bird site,mainley for the super cupe.you will have to register to post,but their is a lot of collectors their,have old T Birds,they have a for sale on their.

Awesome to know. Thanks for the help, I'll update here as I fix the issue. I took it out for a little test run and it did ok. A lot of work to do on it but the engine runs great so that's all the start I need.

165

Ive owned like 15 fords and they all do it. I dont know how hard it would be to find but I know on my 91 F-150 you can buy new window tracks for a rather inexpensive price. But they are a pain in the ass to fix. My 84 Mustang had the same problem and I did try hand bending the track and gluing the glass but it didnt work. But it has worked on a pickup

think you will find what you need their.