Please tell me what this part is?

Asked by Dec 07, 2010 at 03:52 PM about the 1967 Ford Thunderbird

Was replacing the oil pan gasket on my 67 tbird and found this part just hanging near it.  Can't figure out what it is or where it goes.  Can someone help tell me what this part is for?

looks like it is part of the emergency break or is the part that hooks to tranny to shift the gears,if it was just hanging their and you have not had any problems with the car,and everything works ok,dont worrie about it.has the tranny been swaped out for another one,has it been a auto turned into a straight drive or vice versa.

thanks papa for your help. the part was hanging to the side of the transmission filter. it seemed to hook into a groove on the side of transmission loose - not attached. it is a stock transmission c6.

I would not worrie about it as long as it goes into gear and shifts right,im sure it is just a brace,on the old c6 trannys,it was put their to help keep the tranny from shifting to other side of car,sort of a back up if the main tranny mounts broke.

thanks for replying again. do you work on or have a tbird? will put it back together and see what happens. again, thanks for responding.

YES,I got 2,89 T BIRD SUPER COUPE,s & 1 90 SC.hang on to the part,you may still need it or at least figure out how it hooks up,the onley ones I have seen like that hook up to straight drives,but it also looks like part of the shifter linkage,since it was just hanging under the car and the tranny shifted right,I still would not be to concerned about it.