brake problems with my 1966 thunderbird q-code after i rebuilt and put them back on.

55

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 10:30 PM about the 1966 Ford Thunderbird

Ok so i was going to bleed my brakes because i had to rebuild all of them, both caliper
brakes and both drum brakes but now i'm not getting any reaction at all from any of
them no nothing. i checked the master cylinder there is now change in volume of brake
fluid and when i spin the front disk and then hit the brake pedal nothing happens it just
keeps spinning so any suggestions to what's wrong because i have no idea it could be
the master cylinder but i have no clue.

5,165

Yes, it could be your master cylinder but it could also be a problem with your 50 year old brake lines. They used rubber flexes from frame to axle. They have a tendency to swell up over time and restrict brake flow. You don't say if you were driving the car the day before you did the brake job or if it had been sitting for some months. I would loosen one rubber flex pipe at a time and see if any fluid will come out when you pump the brakes. (be sure master cylinder if full to line). Also, do you know for sure that the master cylinder is good?

55

no i'm not too sure but when i parked it in my garage maybe two months ago? the brakes were working and considering it had been sitting for 20 years in another garage so yeah.

5,165

OK, I think you may have swollen brake lines... I would check that first. I bought one of my 65's that had been on blocks for 38 years! Had to trailer it home as it had NO brakes. I ended up replacing every part of the brake system and finally I thought about the hoses. Viola! That was it. Not all was bad as I replaced the M/C with a dual system like new cars have. Check the hoses.

55

i checked my master cylinder and it could be just that or a combination of the two because when i parked it in my garage the brakes were working and i pulled it off to see if it was that. i think it is because it's leaking and it ain't supposed to do that. well thanks i'll see if i can fix it! i'm so close to getting my car done. and by the way this 66 thunderbird q-code is my very first car!

5,165

I think you are on to it now. Good luck. I had a new 65 and 66. Loved them. Almost bought the 64 but my wife (at that time did not like it and wanted a Nomad) Bahhh.