I am restoring a 1965 t-bird. It has a 390 V-8 engine. what is the cause of the gas shooting out top of carburetor

Asked by Jun 08, 2013 at 11:01 AM about the 1965 Ford Thunderbird

275,125

I think your timing is off or the float is stuck. Here is a link to someone else with a similar issue....http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080123065625AAr3DzO

9,105

That sounds like either the float is sticking or the needle valve is not closing so the fuel bowl is being over-filled.

75,605

The float system works exactly like the tank of your toilet. When the water in the tank drops the float drops, opens up a valve to turn on the water to fill the tank. Same thing happens inside the carburetor. Only it's called the float bowl. The valve is called the needle and seat. If it sticks the float bowl will overflow. Try tapping the carburetor in the area where the fuel line connects to it. This may unstick the needle and seat valve. HTH. -Jim

5,975

All of these are basically correct. If the car has been in storage for some time the needle valve is probably stuck and/or the float. Be careful if you have not overhauled that 4-bbl before as they have a lot of parts and if you don't know where everyone goes, it probably own't work when you put it back together. You probably should just buy a rebuilt replacement.

75,605

A word of caution here, if you do buy a rebuilt replacement, keep the core. As time goes by more units are "lumped" together in the aftermarket part cataloging. I'd strongly suggest having the original rebuilt by a reputable carb/fuel injection specialist. In 1998 I replaced the original carb. on my 1970 Pontiac with a rebuilt unit from an auto parts store. The car would not run right until I hunted down another carb. with the same (7040060) model number as the original. I was able to use a '69 Pontiac carb. to get by until I found the correct one. But what a nightmare!! HTH -Jim

9,105

I agree with above. Have the original carb rebuilt. Keep the parts together on a car like that one. Well worth it. Plus it is often less money. The whole carb may not need to come apart, either. If it is the float, it may be a very simple repair.

1,805

As most of the answers suggest, the carb needs some attention....whatever you decide, DRIVING the car should not be an option until this issue is addressed because you easily have the engine catch fire.