65 Bird Starter died?

5,635

Asked by Aug 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM about the 1965 Ford Thunderbird

My 65 Bird was running gine.  Only take it out once or twice a month for a drive but it always started right up.  I drove about 10 miles last week and when I went to start it today, nothing!  I keep a battery tender on it so I rechecked the cables and both were tight.  When I tried to start it again, I turned on the headlights and although no starter click or rotation, the lights never dimmed.
I ran a basic battery test and it seemed to have a bad cell.  Pulled the battery and went to shop for a better test.  Battery did have a bad cell so bought another one.  Brought It home, installed it.  Now, solenoid clicks but starter still does not turn over.
I am handicapped and can’t pull the starter myself but before I ask a friend to help me, I want to be as sure a possible that it does need to be pulled.  My first thought is the pinion is stuck to the flywheel.  Is there any way to check this without pulling it?  Any other ideas are most welcome.  Help!

95

Any ford motor product I have ever worked on and that is a bunch, very seldom is it the starter motor. the solenoid clicks, but it still could be bad. thank goodness for the remote location of the solenoid. I would first check your cable from the solenoid to the starter to ensure your getting power, to the starter. also check the two terminals, on the solenoid, one goes to the battery side of the coil. the other down to the starter. Most of your older fords, Chevy have a fly wheel inspection plate that you can have a friend remove for you. it bolts, to the bell housing and the trans, and only has 2 bolts. you can remove that and see if your starter is stuck in the engaged position, against the flywheel ring gear. But I would replace the solenoid before going to all the trouble, of changing a starter.

5,635

Thanks for the reply. I put a jumper across the two terminals and still nothing. I will see how much a new solenoid runs and if not too much, just replace it. I will keep you posted but it will be several days before I can get to it. Thanks

1,425

If you jumped the solenoid, you either have a bad starter, or a bad cable, or cable connection to ground, or cable connection to battery posts. Can be nothing else.

check the starter relay,it sits in front of the battery. jump the relay terminal with a 10 awg. if the engine turns over you have a bad relay.