Anybody have an idea of cost for cave,job rings and anything else that should be done engine wise on 390 v8 in 65 bird compression isn't bad been checked one cylinder down at 130

10

Asked by Nov 09, 2011 at 07:41 PM about the 1965 Ford Thunderbird

575

Bob, I would suggest that if the engine is in good running condition, you don't do anything to it. Eventually it will need a complete rebuild, but if that time isn't here yet just use it and enjoy the car untill that time comes. A few years ago I bought a 64 Merc. with a Z code 390. The engine had 97K original miles on it when I bought it. (WELL below the average lifespan of a 390). The car was parked in 1978 and the engine was never ran untill I got it running again in 2008. I've put about 16K trouble free miles on it since then. I'm not attempting to compare my situation with ALL situations....just to say that there was no teardown ,internal engine or headwork required to continue useing the engine...Only some freshinging up of some external components (Mainly the carb/Fuel tank and lines). Of coarse the phrase "Should be done" from your question is what I'm basing my answer around. Your engine may need work? I don't know. With the octane level available in modern gas the engine won't perform as well as it was designed to....that's to be expected. When rebuild time comes you can have some minor changes made to increase performance and lifespan of the engine as it will be running on lower octane/unleaded gas. No need to do a valve job on it "Now" just to install hardened seats, or do a ring job on the engine. that's not "Rebuilding" the engine although just as much work is involved to tear it down to do those things. It's more economical to get all the life you can from it (as it is), and then do ONE teardown and rebuild making the ENTIRE engine "Fresh". Riff

The 390 is a tuff engine,like other poster said as long as it runs good,dont smoke or use oil skip or anything,enjoy it.

10

Thanks for the info,it doesn't run bad after it warms up for 15 minutes,no smoke,no leaks but a little sluggish.

for the little sluggish,check the timeing,it may be off a little.plus the gas we have today will cause it to.