Has anyone a suggestion on how I would best cover up my electric window motors, as we have a little more rain here in the UK. I`ve had the door panels off a few times now as the motors have stopped working on a number of occassions, they are in fact off now and would like some help with the problem before refitting the door panels. JT_Bird

125

Asked by Jul 18, 2007 at 09:47 PM about the 1965 Ford Thunderbird

My windows have stopped working a few times now, due mainly I think to water dripping on the motors. The last time I got them working again, but due to the amount of rain we`ve had over the last week or so they`ve stopped.
  Once I`ve had a chance to see if the motors are not beyond repair, I would like to some how cover the motors in order to stop water dripping onto, or entering, the motors.
  Would I best be advised to fit a metal plate over the motors, or cover them with a plastic bag etc?

42,105

Try to replace the weatherstripping on the outside of the door that runs along the bottom of the windows. I had a Lincoln where this got cracked and allowed a lot of water into the door panels. It would actually slosh around after a heavy rain! I took a 1/8" drill bit and drilled a few small holes along the bottom of the door on the inside which allowed the water to drain out, and also prevented future water from building up. You might also want to get some of the plastic material that new car manufacturers use to seal the inside of their door panels to keep water out. Most dealerships have this and you could trim it to fit your older vehicle. Good luck!