I have a 64 t bird .all original parts. The car is in mint condition except it has not been started in 5 years. I know I need gas line cleaner (?) but can I hurt the motor by starting it up?

Marci Mobbs

Asked by Jun 11, 2015 at 08:35 PM about the 1964 Ford Thunderbird

Try to turn it over manually by putting a large socket/wrench on the crankshaft pulley. If everything moves freely, you are in good shape. Take out the spark plugs and spray a little penetrating oil in the cylinders. Clean or replace the plugs. Make sure you've drained the old gas out and replaced with fresh. You may need to prime the carb with some gas before turning the key. Best of luck!

Best Answer

You probably have a buildup of varnish in the gas tank and carb. It is going to take a lot more than penetrating oil to do it right. I would start by removing the plugs first, put a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each hole and let it sit overnight. The next day you can try to turn it over with a breaker bar. If it seems to move a little or none and hangs, DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER until you pull the heads or you might break a ring or so. Also, check your brake lines and fluid. This car is 50 years old and the flex lines for the brakes were rubber and not the material our new lines are made of. They can restrict and or blow when you hit the brakes. Please be careful.

Marci Mobbs

Thank you