64 t-bird: Car jerks to RT and LT at speeds over 45. I put two new steering boxes in and had a alignment. two shops looked at it and say steering parts are in good shape. What else can it be?

Asked by May 30, 2015 at 11:35 PM about the 1964 Ford Thunderbird

Car drives fine then mid turn the car
jerks suddenly.

102,005

Have you had the pressure checked on the power steering pump, it is possible you have a sticky check valve.

475

Possible brake locking up w/ ft disc brakes.

5,525

64 Does not have disk brakes. Also, it doesn't sound like a sticky valve. What does not make sense is that it jerks in BOTH directions. I would try to run some test to see if you can see what triggers the jerking and then get back to us.

Finally set up some of these tests you were talking about, and the tbird does not jerk to the right at all. It only jerks to the left. I jacked it up and turned the wheels back and forth manually trying to get air out of the power steering box. I did circles to rt/lt and figure 8 's in the parking lot. After all that, it seems to jerk to the left intermittently at speeds over 45. What else could I try? What else could it be?

5,525

Describe how it "Jerks" Does it pull the wheel out of your hands? Is it violent or just a steady pull? Is it only at speeds above 45? Usually when the speed is a factor it could be broken belts in the pulling tire.

It has one violent Gerk to the left and then it smooth.when going straight down the road if you turn the wheel just a quarter inch to the left that's when it jerks. Now it feels like it's intermittent

5,525

Sorry, I'm out of ideas for that description