1964 thunderbird window motors keep burning out

Asked by May 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM about the 1964 Ford Thunderbird

I have replaced the motors and switches on my 1964 Thunderbird but the motors and switches keep going bad and this was done at my local Ford dealership. They have given up on it. Any suggestions?

74,035

Sounds like a wiring problem. Sounds like the motors are drawing more power then the wires are rated for. Is there a relay in the circuit? There probably should be. Has the wiring, especially in the driver's door, been repaired or replaced? If so and the replacement wiring is of a smaller gauge than original it will overheat and burn out components. Be sure that the new motors are correct for the car. The wrong motors may be pulling too much power. I once had that happen to me on a '66 Cadillac. The blower motor for the heater was wrong and successfully burned out the fan switch. HTH. -Jim

9,060

I had some tbird issues with door spaghetti before, pretty scary looking mess, turned out screwshad been run through the trim panels, pierced the wire harness and screwed through it, to the door metal. Everyone was telling the lady to go somewhere else because of the ratty looking wiring mess. we disassembled it and noticed it in a few minutes of looking everything over.

9,060

Something like that,you have to get on it, get it apart, inspect, diagnose, figure what to do to restore it then order everything, put it all back to gether. if you can connect it up during the diag and get it right, you can performance test your work while your parts are coming. You dont want to leave it apart.