I have title question , 64 Thunderbird

50

Asked by Aug 23, 2013 at 06:45 PM about the 1964 Ford Thunderbird

I have copies of titles from dealership new in Texas , continued owners (2) to me .
The titles all have all correct numbers matched to car through all the owners . The VIN number indicates hardtop , manufactured year 1964 , car number 26,528 , yet the year on the titles says 1963 . 26,000 cars seems to me to be too many for early production year crossover , as I believe that there were  about 60,500 hardtops produced in 1964 . Does anyone have a real explanation for this ? , or has this mistake been continued , for 50 years and four states . I have registered the car in SC , no problem as a 63 and the titles question moves on ..

90

It seems to me tht as you stated their just may be a glitch in the system for tht specific model. did you speak to a dealership tht sell your make and model maybe they have the answer you are looking for.

70,875

Since you have a copy of the original title, when was the car first titled, 1963 or '64? In 1963 there were 42,806 model 63A, hardtop coupes and 14,139 model 63B, Landau hardtop coupes produced. In 1964 there were 60,552 model 83, hardtop coupes produced and 22,715 model 87, Landau hardtop coupes produced. Now from the information I have the first character of the VIN is your model year. So if it's a 3 it's a '63 and if it's a 4 then it's a '64 model. You can find the VIN tag on the firewall under the hood. One thing to remember is that back in those days everything was done manually without computers to catch human errors. My guess is that a typo occurred and Texas DMV never caught it. Subsequent owners probably figured it didn't really matter and it would be such a hassle to get it corrected, years later, that nobody ever bothered. If other state's DMVs are like NJ it would take the hand of God to get something like that corrected!! Sounds like you have a very interesting car! HTH. -Jim

50

@JS VIN code for year is a 4 ... I thought about correcting it but changing the titles in four states to get the paperwork trail correct , is not a job I want to take on . Dealing with one DMV is enough to make you drink . Can you see me trying to change the original title from 50 years ago ? I registered it as a 63 , if it said 65 or 66 I wouldnt have as much worry , but a 63 is a completely different body style .

70,875

Yes, John, that's a smart move. Let sleeping dogs lie. I'm willing to bet that Texas and the other states don't have any record of this car either. In NJ once a VIN is left unregistered for 7 years the records are purged. I once bought a '67 Fleetwood, out of state, and the clerk at my local DMV office put "2dr" on the title and registration. I immediately pointed it out to her. She told me, exactly 2 seconds after the mistake was made, that I'd have to go to the main DMV in Trenton to fix it since it was already in the computer!! I said forget it. Never had any trouble with the error even when I sold the car. So if it's still around somewhere I suppose whoever has it is asking a similar question. -Jim

1,705

The answer to this question is pretty obvious: Either your car has the big ROUND taillights of the " Bullet Bird " with a single fender crease on the side or it has the RECTANGULAR Taillights of the 1964; Once you dtermine what year you OWN you can tell if the title is a mistake that just kept on being duplicated.