Does anyone know why my 63 t bird has a heater core with two pipes, when it seems the only one they sell for my car has only one?

50

Asked by Oct 20, 2015 at 08:21 PM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

74,765

Has to have a in & out for flow, never herd of one with just one tube.

50

That's what I thought, but if you go to MACs or some of the online core distributers, that's what comes up on the search.

50

Ford Thunderbird Heater Core, 1 Pipe With 3 Studs, Late 1962-63 Ford Thunderbird Heater Core, 1 Pipe With 3 Studs, Late 1962-63 Part # 66-34825-1 This is the one they sell.

71,025

That's a new one on me! If you can't find the correct one, have your old one recored at a local radiator shop. That's what I did with the heater core for my '66 Cadillac without air conditioning. Mine had the inlet and outlet pipes opposite of each other. The only ones I could find was with the tubes next to each other for air conditioned cars. HTH. -Jim

74,765

Will have to look into that 1 tube heater core, like we said never heard of it. May have to do what Js08016 suggested...

50

Thanks to both of you, I went to NAPA, and they said bring it in, and they'll try to match it. If that fails I guess I'll look into getting it re-cored. Thanks again.

71,025

You're welcome. Glad to help. I work for NAPA. I'll try to get you a part number. -Jim

71,025

I just dug out my 1968 Parts Book. It says 1961 thru '63 with A/C part # C2SZ-18476B. There's no listing for non-A/C cars until 1964. This may help the counter person do an interchange on the part number. You can also Google this part number and see if anything pops up. HTH. -Jim

71,025

There's one on eBay right now. Looks like either the reproduction one from MAC's is made wrong or the suffix "A" on their OEM part number reference is what makes the difference. The used suffix "B" one on eBay (the one you need with A/C) has 2 pipes and another piece on it. HTH. -Jim

50

And of course mine would be the one without A/C. Maybe that's why they couldn't find it earlier. We'll get it figured out.

71,025

I found no listing in our NAPA cataloging. However, I believe I know what's going on here. The heater control valve, the gizmo on the side of the heater core with the spring looking thing on it, needs to be transferred to the new heater core. Comparing the two pictures that's what appears to me to be going on. I have the original part number for that if you need it. HTH. -Jim

50

I'm going to pull it out this PM . I think you're probably right on that. thanks for taking the time to help me. Paul.

71,025

You're welcome, Paul. Glad to help. -Jim