I have recently aquired a 1963 T-Bird that runs OK and looks good. BUT, the brake pedal is as hard as rocks to push on (need both feet to stop, at best) to get the the car stoped. Where should I start, and what could be the fix? Or, what publication would be available for troubleshooting, not necessarily a repair manuel (althoughthat may help for part removal and replacement) i want to know what likely is the problem.

Asked by Oct 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

Hard as hell brake pedal resistance, brakes do not seem to drag.

10,380

If you completely drain the brake system you may find contaminated fluid/ I would recommend removing the master cylinder and doing a complete overhaul ... flush the brake system and be sure to check the flexible lines to the front wheels for deterioration. Over the years something had to be changed/repaired so don't overlook any parts that may not be standard

Tom; Thanks for your advice. I will do the procedure as soon as i can get the time. Could the booster be locked up? And, would what you analysise to be the potential problem create a situation where extreme pressure needs to be applied to the brake pedal to to marginally get the vehicle to slow and stop only over a great distance. I am not deriving it now. greg

475

Repace Vacume booster & replace brake hoses flush & bleed system.

Barneuma: Thanks, that is what I thought, after reading other peoples .problems, I was going to need to do. I was just hoping there was some miracle fix.

10,380

Want tthis???