how do I check torsion bar bushings on a 1963 thunderbird

295

Asked by Jun 28, 2014 at 09:20 AM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

I have a knocking noise when I go over bumps, it rattles several times rather than one bang, Ive got new lower ball joints, new outer bearings
When I jack the front up and put a pry bar under the right front wheel , move it up and down I can just hear the slight "Clunk" but cant make out where its coming from. could it be the torsion bar bushings or the drag/tie bar, and how can I check these before spending yet more money.

101,765

Rattle kinda like change in your pocket? If so probably sway bar link bushings. Look at the rubber grommets. With car sitting normally There should not be a gap between the nuts on either end of the link and the washer that presses the rubber grommet into the supports. If there is a gap the rattle you hear is the washers.

295

Thanks dandyoun, That's the nearest description of the noise iv e got from any body , so thanks for that. When I go over a bump its not a Bang its more like a ( Ba-Ba- Bang) I used the words torsion bar, is that the same as a Sway bar link? I take it that I DONT raise the car off the ground ( I could run it up some steel ramps, is that the way? that way It will have the full weight on the suspension. I take it this is NOT the drag link you're talking about ( that has a ball joint at each end) So thanks, when it stops raining here in London UK, Ill get out and under. Thanks again, Neil

101,765

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1963/ford/thunderbird/suspension/swa y_bar_link.html -- check this out. It will show you a picture of yours. I believe what you calling a torsion bar is what I call a sway bar. I would almost bet that your sway bar links and bushings need replaced.

101,765

Oh and I have found that when replacing mine (sway bar links)I don't worry with getting the nuts off the ends of the old ones cause most times they are in to bad of shape to remove them. I take a sawzaw and just cut the link right in the middle. Then when you pull the metal sleeve off the link the rest of the link will pull right out the top and/or bottom of the sway bar and mounting bracket. Putting the new ones in is fairly simple. Just make sure your have the washers installed correctly and line the new link bushing into the bar and mounting bracket holes straight. Hope this helps. I have found it easier to replace them by picking up on the body/frame with a jack and not the axle or front wheel assembly. This way if you have to you can raise or lower jack to install the new link easier.

295

Thanks dandyou Ill try that, I take it these are about £5 or $10 is that right. neil

101,765

Yes. I would also inspect or for that matter just replace the sway bar bushings to while you are under there. They not that expensive either and if the sway bar links are bad you can almost bet the bushings are about to go too.

295

Dandyou You know here we seem to have some differing names, below is a list, do you know of a site that identifies these, Sway Bar Drag Link Strut Bar Stabilizer bar Control arm I've been doing this for years and still need to make sure I'm talking about the same thing as those items advertised, the problem is that by the time it gets to England the price is double plus tax so if any one knows a simple diagramme with titles that may help. I've still got to try dabdyou's action first as that seems the best way to go. Neil

101,765

http://www.mre-books.com/shopmanuals/cd10042.html -- you might find this helpful.