Is it possible to remove the bottom fixing of a shock absorber to check thequality of the bush and shock

345

Asked by Jun 08, 2014 at 12:02 PM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

ONGOING KNOCKING PROBLEM 1963 Thunderbird
Just to remind you I have a repeated knocking not repetitive ( just like a loose exhaust system , not repetitive but definite over a bump but that's ok)
I've just had the lower ball joints done, everything else is ok up front, the noise is from the front right. The only thing left is to undo the lower shock absorber fixing and do a short drive ( slowly of course) to see if it could be the shock or the fixing..

ANY IDEAS  bearings ok all fixing good according to garage

I have air shocks on rear but these are keeping the rear end up I need some sort of spring supports , ANY IDEAS?
I've checked the doors( inside) exhaust, stuff in the boot( trunk) etc

Help

78,095

Could be control arm bushings. Or possibly stabilizer bar bushings. HTH. -Jim

6,215

I agree on rubber bushings. I replaced ALL of the bushings on the front of my 65, Car is now as quiet as a new one.

345

Thanks oldtimer37. As we speak the car is having new ball joints and I found that , when I jacked up the car I could move the rear wheels side to side ( not up and down)??? so they are putting on new bearings, the only thing is I think that the OUTER bearings could still be fine and the half shaft PIVOTING or ROCKING on that bearing if the INNER bearing is gone.?? What do you think? Unfortunately as I have to ship parts from the US to England then pay import duty and VAT tax at 20% and handling charge for the post office of about $15 my loer ball joints came to £210 or about $300 that's why I keep asking the same question.

6,215

It sounds like you have checked almost everything and found some problems that you are correcting. You are right, the front shock is about the only thing left to check. BE VERY CAREFUL when you loosen the bottom shock bolt. The spring can come flying out unless you strap it or use a set of spring clamps. If you find the rubber grommets good on the bottom it may be the tops but don't take it loose without some help. BE VERY CAUTIOUS OF THE COIL SPRING FLYING OUT.

Best Answer Mark helpful
345

Thanks Oldtimer, Ill get the garage to look at that then as you say the springs are a problem, which then raises the next issue, could the rubber isolation pads on the front ( or rear) springs be part of the problem, any body got any experience here. I rearlise that any of the front steering could cause issues but the banging Im hearing is a definite UP and DOWN movement, (anybody??)

6,215

Get your shock mount bushings checked. It sounds like that is the final problem. Good luck. (Thanks for the 'most helpful")