dashboard ingition lights on when key is turned aniclockwise WHY?

325

Asked by Jun 04, 2014 at 12:01 PM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

I have a 1963 Thunderbird that works fine, when I turn the ignition key clockwise everything is fine, the engine starts etc. , then when I turn the key anticlockwize it turns off correctly BUT if I continue turning the key ANTI clockwise the ignition lights etc come back on ( but doesnt start the car)
Why does it come on when i turn the key anticlockwise. and COULD this have anything to do with my battery leak which I have ( but cant trace)

16,665

is this your first car? IF SO - then ask someone to show you the key positions,where the ashtray is and how to open it,etc.....if it isn't your first car then I couldn't possibly explain your question to you.

325

Thanks for thzt however usually turning the key to the lefy (anticlockwise) is used for the radio when the car is parked so Why the ignition lights on..?

325

II had the car in a garage and they hadnt noticed that the ignition was still on (burning the coil etc) when they realised the battery was flat so it isnt as simple as you suggested

16,665

You went such a long way around explaining the accessory position ; I just figured the dash light was the radio and clock lights coming on. (and you just used ignition light instead of dash light.) After all;that was a different way to explain acc. Now that I think that you are having a real problem ; let's take a peek. [you must read some of the other questions that are asked , 50% are made up,30% are silly, 10% are fishing and that leaves 10% as genuine]

16,665

Is the battery being drained when the key is removed? ie: not in the ignition.

325

Yes the battery is draining when the key is out I thought tbat when you turn thr key to the left (anticlockwise) the ignition light should stay off but allow you to run various accessories both red lights are on Thanks

16,665

The key positioned ataccessory shouldn't give you anything more than clock, radio ,windshield wipers (never really understood why wipers), but not turn lights on your whole instrument cluster. Bad switch could be dangerous;specially,since you said the coil was hot. Can't trace the drain just means you haven't found a short ;doesn't mean that it isn't there (unless you're suggesting those pesky Gremlins are at play). You have a faulty switch that's powering up the coil and should address that and see if it is the only problem, I'd disconnect the battery until I found and fixed what's charging the coil.

Best Answer
325

Thanks Ill do that and vet the ignition switch checked meanwhile ill disconnect the battery, Thanks Neil