Noise from underneath a 1963 thunderbird

335

Asked by Apr 17, 2014 at 10:33 AM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

The noise sounds just like an exhaust vibration, banging when I go over bumps and sometimes on a straight flat road,  it is NOT repetitive. Its not there when I run the engine, Its NOT there when I put it in gear. its not repetitive like a regular wheel sound would be . could it be some sort of mounting, if so how could I check this?
We've looked underneath, the only (possible) clue is when I sit/bounce on the front right wing/fender I can hear a "Click", the wheel bearings are fine.
the exhaust doesn't go near anything when we rattle it, The rear has AIR shocks, ive let the air out but still the same, HELP

5,985

I don't know about your car but mine had to have all the bushings replaced. I was getting metal to metal rattle from rubber bushings being worn out.

335

Im rearly embarassed, this problem has lasted gor 6 months thee garages have looked at the suspension, it turns out to be the obvious, the rear brake czbles split into two cables near the start of the transmision tube, the brakes needed taking up sp that the slack wouldnt allow the cables and that splitter part to swing around. the garages and me when underneath looked at the suspension etc, none of us looked at the obvioue GURR

5,985

Glad you found it. Describing a "Sound" in words leaves a lot of possibilities.