1963 Thunderbird with removable top? has the sports roadster parade boot.

Asked by Feb 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

A business acquaintance called me about a 1963 Thunderbird that is in his recently departed father's garage.  As I am a modest car collector, he asked me to help him figure out what it is worth.  This is not a 'what is it worth' question however.  It is a 'did this car actually exist' question.  It is a 1963 Thunderbird.  It has full seating...and a parade boot...and...a REMOVABLE HARDTOP !!!!   I've been around - I was in college when this T-bird was built, and I've been putzing with cars since I was 14...and I have never ever heard of this.  There is NO convertible top...there are no bows for a convertible top.

hello i know this is a long time ago when you posted this, but have you found out what type of ford thunderbird youre friend has??? and have you some pictures of the car, i think i've found the same type of car here in the Netherlands please reply regards Martin

165

ford never made a 63 removeable hard top....it has the sport boot cover for 63,,,, but the car was taken to a custom shop for the pop top...

7,135

YES this car was built buy Ford for a limited amount of customers just before the 1964 Worlds Fair. It is extremely rare and it served to give a boost to car sales right before the 64.5 Ford Mustang came out. It also was put out in limited quantities to try and sway the Corvette crowd buyer with the "4 to 2" roadster cover.

5,465

I have done a good bit of research and I found this site: http://automotivemileposts.com/contentstbird.html This tells of a sports Roadster which may be the car you have in question. Taken out of context, I have this to wet your appitite; For 1962, two new models were added: the Landau and the Sports Roadster. ... The Sports Roadster was an attempt to create something for the folks who were still lamenting the passing of the two passenger T-Bird. It was actually a great idea: a fiberglass tonneau cover was placed over the rear seat area, and so on.

10

I have one of these cars here in Sarasota Florida right now (Sept. 19, 2015). I'd like to learn more about it and would gladly share photos and what little info I have.

Hello, Can one cut the roof with the rear window off a 1962 T Bird and convert it to be a removable hard top as in the 55 - 57 or the Mercedes 450SL?

5,465

I don't see why not. I have seen some amazing metal workers. I have no idea what it may cost you, but it can definitely be done.

I learned how to drive in a thunderbird with the removal hardtop with the port holes on the side. They did exist. It was strange because there really was no place to put the top except in the lawn. Lol