what is the gap size for points

Asked by May 08, 2013 at 09:37 AM about the 1961 Ford Thunderbird

According to: http://www.tpocr.com/thunderbird.html the points gap for all engines in 1961 T~Birds is 0.17"

Use a 0.017-inch (0.43 mm) gauge for standard 390ci

Please check your distributor shaft for any play side to side as this will change the setting as the engine runs, it could cause a misfire, if the shaft has too much wobble replace the distributor.

Tennisshoes is right about shaft wobble but replacement is not required. Just have it re-bushed. It is hard to find those old (45-50yr) distributers. Another answer would be to convert to electronic ignition. I have the factory option on one of my 65's and I never have a problem. there are some third party units available

You are right oldtimer25 I don't know what I was thinking, I've even converted many distributors over myself, it is a really easy operation too, and it does away with points that are no longer made very good. Thanks for getting my head out of the Monday morning fuzzies.

Back in the old days, the gap was the same as a matchbook cover - .017". Setting the dwell is a better way to do it but either works. I'm with these guys - go electronic unless it's a Concourse restoration.

Even with a Concourse restoration, if you can find the original Ford electronic distributer like I have on mine it is still factory numbers. That is why I spent 5 months searching for this one. It is on a 65 Special Landau. Good luck, everyone has given you good leads..