How do you replace the trunk lock cylinder on a 1960 Thunderbird hardtop?

Asked by Oct 26, 2016 at 09:24 PM about the 1960 Ford Thunderbird

The trunk lock on my 1960 T-Bird doesn't work.  I have the lock mechanism removed and when you turn the key the lever that trips the trunk lock doesn't turn, so it won't release the trunk lock.  I bought a replacement lock cylinder expecting it to come with the housing/lever mechanism, but apparently the lever mechanism is part of the trunk emblem.  So will replacing the lock cylinder correct this problem, and if so how do I get the old lock cylinder out of the housing?  If this won't correct the problem, what else needs to be done.  

Thanks,
Brad

Remove the trunk lock assembly from the trunk lid. Insert the trunk key into the lock and push in slightly. Then press down on the "button" that sticks through the small slot in the top-rear of the lock cylinder housing. This may need to oiled first, but it should depress which will allow the lock cylinder to be removed. This will allow you to check the "tab" on the end of the lock cylinder and the slot it fits into in the bottom of the cylinder housing for wear. Replace worn parts and reassemble. Note, the lock cylinder housing is an integral part of the trunk lock assembly/thunderbird emblem, so if the slot is worn you will have to replace the entire assembly (~$120 at Birds Nest).