I've been handed down a well maintained and stored 55 T-Bird that hasn't been started in over 3 years. Do I attempt to start it or call a mechanic first?

Asked by Jun 06, 2015 at 08:59 AM about the 1955 Ford Thunderbird

I ask because I was told that a
mechanic used to come over every
spring to start the car, change fluids,
etc for about $1,000.  Is this
necessary or could I do this myself?

105,505

As it hasn't been started in that long, absolutely call a mechanic, preferably an "old school" mechanic, there's not many out there any more, he will know what to do before the engine is even turned over, this will take some time so it will get costly at first, but it's better than a stuck valve, or a scored piston and cylinder wall, or a burned out transmission or rear end due to condensation, not mention what maybe in the fuel tank and lines by now, then there is the cooling system that needs careful inspection. After everything is done after this, then you can do the maintaining your self, there is all kinds of information on the internet on how to keep your classic up to par while it is in storage. Congrats on your Ford Classic, I hope that you will enjoy it for many more years.

Best Answer Mark helpful
105,505

If you could maybe send us a picture.

70,315

Agree with TS,old school mechanic will know how to prepare and start this car,dont, take it to a new school mechanic,he will just charge battery and try cranking it that way,could damage it,

Thanks for your expert feedback. I'll take the cautious route and have an old school classic car mechanic bring it to life. Have a great weekend!