1955 thunderbird won't start hot

Asked by Aug 18, 2013 at 06:29 PM about the 1955 Ford Thunderbird

My '55 t-bird won't start hot. Has a new started new battery. When hot it turns over slowly like a starter dragging. Let it sit 10 mins and it will start.

check your heat riser/butterfly may be engaging when hot instead of cold....snuffing out proper combustion~

I'd guess the plugs are fouling~

113,675

I had the same problem with reman starters I went through 4 starters before I got one that wouldn't do the same thing your is doing.

78,085

Also, check your battery. I had a '66 Cadillac that would do the same thing. I eventually found out the battery was dying. If your ignition timing is too far advanced it will cause this too. HTH. -Jim

7,285

buy a "new" starter, not a rebuilt one. Rebuilt starters are just used starters with maybe new brushes. They normally only replace the parts that are bad and you end up with used starter with "some" new parts. The armature in the rebuilt starter is getting hot from the engine or the engine exhaust manifold and won't turn. You can get a "new" alternator or try wrapping the one you got with something that will reflect heat. I used aluminum flashing from Home Depot. Loosen up the banding on the starter, slide the aluminum under and around the starter, tighten the band and reinstall the starter,problem solved. Good luck. Kenny/MrBlueOval. Hey Judge roy, thanks for the guru hat.

Mr. BlueOval...like your style, that's why I made sure Henry_S sent YOU the hat too...thanks for providing an address to send the hat in the first place...click the Orange "feedbag" bullhorn and thank Henry S for the hat...he's the one guy pullin' for us there~