68 ford country squire left rear lights dont work.. help please..

Asked by Jan 24, 2012 at 05:25 PM about the 1968 Ford Country Squire

i got a 68 ford country squire  the problem that im having is my left side brake and directional light do not work, but my park and reverse work on the left side all other lights are working fine in the front and right rear... i have ordered a headlight switch, brake pedal switch, and a directional switch.... havent got them in yet but where cheap enough... any help would be great....

5,975

It's probably a ground problem or a loose connection on the back of the tail light housing. Drop the tailgate and climb in the back of the car and remove the rear cover under the long side window, that should give you access to the back of the tail light housing . See if you see any rust, if so scrape it clean. These old wagons leaked in the back behind the interior panels. The old tail light housings were cadmium plated but over time the water from acid rain can eat thru that plating and cause rust underneath. Also pull out the light socket for the left side and check the filiment in the bulb. You might as well replace the bulb( # 1157) with a new one while you have it apart. If that doesn't solve the problem, start wiggling the wires going into the tail light socket while you have the key on and the turn signal on. Like I said, it's more than likely just a loose connection with the wires, when they get old, they get brittle so if you have a broken or split wire, cut that section out and replace it with a piece of soft new wire. The light sockets are still readily available too at most large autoparts stores like PepBoys. You might have to cut the wires going to your's and bring it with you to the store to match it up. It won't be a genuine Ford product, it will be an aftermarket replacement from Borg-Warner or equivilant but it will work just like the original. You can use a test light also to check for bad connections. Good Luck with it. Kenny/ 2-69 Country Squires in my garage.

thanks for the info. so i started to take out the panels in the rear and found 2 black wires and grounded them out.. still nothing, i then started to isolate the wires found that the orange with purple strip is the right rear signal.. has power there.. my test light flashes off and on with the right signal on.. the green with orange strip is the left signal.. no power there.. traced wires up to the steering colum and still no power there but i have power to the right directional... just have a few questions... 1. could it be the directional switch in the colum 2. could it be the headlight switch, cause ive read that is how they get power. it is just wierd that the left front directional works fine.. thanks for any input..

5,975

Hi, In answer to your questions,Yes, it could very well be the turn signal switch, especialy if you got power going into it . The wires to that switch which is underneath the steering wheel(you'll need a puller to remove the wheel) run up the column from the bottom. I would check those wires too. If you've got power there, then it almost HAS to be the turn signal switch. I doubt it is the headlight switch. If it were something like that, you wouldn't have either left OR right turn signals. Check the wires going up to the switch. Just a process of elimination. Where the power stops, that's where your problem is. Kenny.