87 no start... no spark.....

10

Asked by Aug 01, 2016 at 10:25 PM about the 1987 Ford Tempo

i got an 87 ford tempo died one day while driving on the off ramp on the
highway and wont start. it cranks over but doesnt start. got fuel but no spark
tried testing for engine codes with the light tester and i got nthing..... any help
would be appreciated

10

replaced ignition module, distributor cap and rotor, and battery

113,935

There was a TSB way back when about the distributor pickup coil insulation material disintegration problem, so look at the pickup and see if the material is falling apart right between where the hold down bolts attach, this causes the contacts to move out of position and miss the ignition control module.

10

if there is a relay next to the batterie that the hot wire goes to it might be that aswell cause that is a starter relay that engages the electricity to the ignition and start and everything else eletronic

I have a 1987 Ford tempo while I was driving it just stopped running while I was driving. I replaced the module and it tried to crank but it didn't. I checked the module and the pick up with my light tester but it still won't crank.

113,935

So you have power and a trigger signal at the coil but no fire? If so replace the ignition coil. You really need a lab scope to check for a signal from the distributor pickup.