my car is leaking oild bad.

105

Asked by Jan 22, 2011 at 02:36 PM about the 1984 Ford Tempo

Hey guys my !984 Ford Tempo GL is leaking oil really bad. Almost my whole bottom of my car is covered is Oil. can anyone tell me what might be the problem down there? and how much im looking at for repairs?

blown out rear main seal,it would be cheaper to get another car.the motor will have to be pulled to fix this,as most shops will want to do a engine overhaul while it is out.none will pull it just to replace a rear seal.(sorry)

105

Good news man, i went to walmart and they have a liquind that you put in the crank case and it seals up the rear main seal. it was only 6 buck so i didnt expect it to really work but t.at this point what could i lose. and to my suprise it is working already!

295

unfortunately the other guy has it right. your stopleak will work for a while, but it's at best a stall. after a while of using it, the dammage that it will cause is going to finish off what running the engine without oil started. when did it start leaking oil, anyways? did you run it hard for a while? just get an oil change? been needing an oil change for the past hundred thousand miles but never get around to it? it could actually be a couple different things, some more catastrophic than the last. the rear main seal is just most likely culprit

35

oil sending unit bad? leaking? located on top of oil filter nockwhere it scres on. can see it straight down on front of engine.

where did you come from,oil sending unit.LMAO.

Rubber seals deteriorate over time, especially on older vehicles. First, determine if the wetness is oil or coolant. If the upper engine area is oily, it is most likely a valve cover gasket. If the front (where belts are located) of the engine is oily, suspect a failed timing cover gasket, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, or power steering fluid hose. Wetness from near central engine height indicates cylinder head gasket failure. Wetness only under the engine is normally from either a defective rear-main seal or oil pan gasket.

I know I'm necro'ing by responding to Papa above...I literally had just that happen to my car. The oil sending unit completely blew apart, and left a huge slick of oil under my car, and a trail 800m long leading to it. When you see that much oil you think the worst...I'm glad a 15 dollar part is all that was needed.