my temp, fuel, and fuel gauges do not work. how can i get them working

niels
0

Asked by Apr 13, 2011 at 09:41 PM about the 1989 Ford Ranger

dash board gauges

Paul Muasa
45

This is a problem with Ford Rangers.In 90% of the cases the problem lies with the instruments themselves.But as far as diagnostics go you should check the basics i.e the tank unit for the fuel gauge and the coolant temperature sensor for the temp gauge.Lets deal with the temp gauge first.If you can obtain an ohm dekade you can connect it to the sensor connectors and simulate a temperature since the sensor is an NTC one(Negative temperature coefficient) meaning that resistance and temperature are inversely proportional.When you simulate and the gauge works i.e after you check the wiring properly then the problem will be the sensor.If it doesnt work then its the gauge itself.The same applies to the fuel gauge only that now the resistance is varied by the float moving the variable resistor.If you would like more clarification then holla back!!

bad cluster,bad temp sensor it has 2 one for computer one for gauge,fuel as other ooster said bad sending unit in gas tank,or a blown gauge fuse.