1988 Ford Ranger "On & Off" clutch problem ?

10

Asked by Nov 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM about the 1988 Ford Ranger

Hello,
One of my 88 Ford Rangers has a 2.9 V6 w/5 speed Mit. transmission.
Several years ago we put in a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bering and clutch slave.
Within the past several weeks has been acting weird.  Sometimes it runs and operates great for a day or so. Push in the clutch with ease, full pedal, starts grabbing about 1/2 pedal and shifts smooth.
Then for some unknown reason the pedal dosn't come all the way up, harder to push down, starts to grab as soon as its lifted, hard to get into gear, and sometimes when clutch petal to floor still wants to go.
Let the truck set for quite awhile and the clutch works perfect again.
I do a lot of mechanic work but this problem has me stumped.

Thanks,
Ernie

840

ernie i had a simular problem with my 85 f150 and found that the firewall was rotted above where the clutch pedel bracket was so the whole firewall was moving when i pushed in the clutch. check under the dash above the clutch pedal bracket might be rotted. drove me nuts trying to figure it out but some one told me to check this out and sure enough good luck paul

10

Thanks for the reply. My firewall is as solid as a brick wall. I narrowed the problem to the hydraulic clutch master cylinder, replaced it, now everythings back to normal. Ernie

i have the same problem i can barley move my shiftier and it will slide right out of gear and the clutch pedal dose not come above the break peddle so its not completely dis engaging